Welcome to Capering & Kickery, a blog for social dance historians, reconstructors, performers, social dancers, writers of historical fiction, and anyone else who wants solid, research-based information about historical social dance in Europe and America from the 15th through the early 20th centuries. I discuss the origin of the name of the blog here.
If you're looking for these things, you've come to the right place:
- reconstructions of historical steps and choreographies
- discussion of research issues
- book and CD reviews
- background and social context for various dance forms
- strange historical dance trivia
If you're looking for these things, you're probably in the wrong place:
- information about Dancesport or modern ballroom dancing
- information about modern English country dancing, Scottish country dancing, or contra
- information about swing or Lindy hop, country western dancing, line dancing, or the Macarena
- information about theatrical dance forms such as ballet or tap
The above are all wonderful and enjoyable forms of dance, they're just not what this blog is about.
This is still a brand-new baby blog and rather thin of content, but lots of exciting information is coming - please come back and visit often, subscribe to the RSS or LJ feeds, or post a comment or three!
Susan de Guardiola